Amy Carlin is a trusted employment advisor to business owners, C-level executives, entrepreneurs, human resources professionals and company managers. As an experienced lawyer, she plays an important role as a daily resource on legal topics relating to all aspects of the employer-employee relationship. Amy is a proactive counselor, adeptly guiding clients through employment issues that affect businesses of all shapes and sizes. Her advice is applicable across all industries, but her clients tend to come from the retail, restaurant and food services, wellness and fitness, and technology industries. She applies a distinctive human touch to her legal advice, helping clients handle any scenario, including how to deliver difficult conversations.
One of Amy’s strengths is working with managers and owners to develop the best possible working environments for their employees. This approach naturally results in full legal compliance for her clients and their businesses. Amy’s preventative approach extends to employee training. She crafts and delivers training programs on many topics, including the prevention of sexual harassment and discrimination, appropriate leadership practices for managers and a range of other mission-critical employment topics. In addition to providing her clients with her first-hand legal knowledge, Amy is often invited by external organizations to share insights in educational seminars focusing on employment law topics relevant to local businesses and their owners/managers.
In addition to her daily counsel, Amy is an experienced litigator, defending clients in discrimination and retaliation claims, wage and hour act issues, common law employment torts as well as in other state and federal statutory actions. She represents clients before state and federal courts and before administrative agencies. Amy also provides thoughtful risk assessment and benefit analysis for clients choosing to resolve employment matters using mediation and other alternative dispute resolution methods. She has a proven track record of achieving positive results for clients who prioritize settlement over litigation.
Amy is often selected by clients for her personal touch and real-life experience. Prior to practicing law, she was employed by Legal Sea Foods, handling a number of different roles interfacing with the company’s expansive workforce. Among her many responsibilities, Amy served as the company’s corporate training specialist where she oversaw employee training experiences. Following law school, Amy served as a law clerk to the Justices of the Massachusetts Superior Court, and then was associated with two small Boston firms, where her practice included employment law as well as other civil and criminal litigation.
Amy has deep experience advocating for and defending his clients. A sampling of her recent work includes:
- Representation of a brand-name restaurant, with locations around the country, in connection with hiring, terminations, classification matters, employee training, and other critical employee/employer interactions.
- Defends companies and organizations in connection with employment and labor matters through arbitrations and alternative dispute methods.
- Guides wellness company on how to promote excellent employee relationships while remaining legally compliant with federal and state laws.
- Handles company audits of employment policies including social media policies, communications policies, equal employment opportunity matters, wage and hour act matters, and other topics arising within the employment context.
- Crafts and runs customized training programs to build positive human interactions and prevent unlawful behaviors and harassment as it relates to sex, gender, age, race and other legally protected characteristics.
- Assists employers with supporting employees with mental and physical disabilities.