Robert Joy has over 4 decades of experience handling employment cases before state and federal agencies and courts at every level. With sophisticated knowledge that helps employers manage a range of employment and labor matters, Bob has appeared in employment cases in thirty-six states including successfully arguing Lechmere, Inc. v. N.L.R.B. before the Supreme Court of the United States, a decision setting the national balancing test for private property rights and organizational rights. Bob is a member of the firm’s management committee and served as Chair from 1994 – 2013. Clients and colleagues recognize Bob as a “masterful attorney” and the “ultimate trusted advisor” and call him out as a “terrific negotiator” and “excellent litigator” in Chambers USA.
Awards & Recognition
- College of Labor and Employment Lawyers inductee, 1999
- America’s Leading Business Lawyers, 2003 – present
- Chambers USA, Labor & Employment, 2003-present; Senior Statespeople, 2023
- Chambers Global, Labor & Employment, 2023
- Super Lawyers, 2005-present
- The Best Lawyers in America, Employment Law – Management; Labor Law – Management; Litigation – Labor and Employment, 2002-present
- Who’s Who of Business Lawyers, 2002-present
- Cushing-Gavin Award, recognizing labor relations professionals in Massachusetts for their “competency, vision, and integrity they bring to labor relations,” Management-Legal Counsel 2011 recipient.
- Litigation Counsel of America, inductee at the LCA’s Spring Conference and Induction of Fellows in Santa Barbara, CA, 2012.
- Litigation Counsel of America, a trial lawyer honorary society composed of less than one-half of one percent of American lawyers.