On June 12, 2007, Mark Whitney and Dan Field presented the Annual Employment Law Update to the MetroWest Human Resources Management Association. The topics covered during the morning session included the following:
Employment Law Update: What’s New and How Will It Impact Your Organization?
The morning portion of the seminar was devoted to our traditional review of developments in the law. Mark and Dan addressed noteworthy cases and legislative/regulatory developments from the past year and explored their impact on HR, with special attention paid to developments in the areas of:
- Review of trends, results and key cases from the MCAD, including a review of the new Standing Order procedures
- Update on Mass Health Care reform
- The Employee Free Choice Act
- Youth employment reform; a first look at Massachusetts comprehensive regulatory changes (just in time for the summer hiring season!)
- Independent contractor update – summary of two important cases decided during 2006 and 2007
- Overtime Exemptions Update; Guidelines for Conducting a Self-Audit and Knowing When to Ask for Help
- New federal EEO reporting requirements
- Developments in FMLA including proposed changes to the law, and other leave issues
- Can shareholders and directors be counted as “employees” to make a company subject to ADA/Title VII?
- Update on disability law and requests to work offsite as reasonable accommodation
- The U.S. Supreme Court’s noteworthy “employee-friendly” retaliation decision
- Developments in enforcement of noncompete, nonsolicitation and confidentiality agreements