Mark Whitney recently authored a portion of the annual trade secret law update presented at the August 2013 annual meeting of the American Bar Association’s Intellectual Property Section, Trade Secrets and Interference with Contracts Committee. Mark, an active member of this Committee, contributed the update covering developments in state and federal courts contained withing the fedreal First Circuit (i.e., Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Maine, Rhode Island, and Puerto Rico). A copy of the 2013 Trade Secrets Report for all federal Circuits, as well as reports from prior years, can be obtained by clicking here (under “Committee Resources” heading).
The Trade Secrets Report is prepared annually by members of the Trade Secrets and Interference with Contracts Committee. The Committee is comprised of practitioners from around the United States who focus on problems of law and practice, federal, state and foreign, in trade secret, unfair interference with contractual rights and related areas of unfair competition, including:
(1) breach of confidential obligations and misappropriation of trade secrets;
(2) protection of confidential information through contracts with suppliers, employees, customers or others;
(3) unfair interference with or inducement to breach of contract;
(4) wrongful appropriation of the values of developments of others; and
(5) application and enforcement of civil claims under the Racketeer Influenced and Corrupt Organization Act (RICO), 18 U.S.C. Sec. 1961 et seq., and similar state statutes.
This committee cooperates with the National Conference of Commissioners on Uniform State Laws in trade secret and related areas.