Morgan, Brown & Joy partner Jaclyn L. Kugell will speak at the Massachusetts Continuing Legal Education’s (MCLE) Employment Law for Business Lawyers & In-House Counsel Program, January 23, 2020 in Boston, MA. The program will provide business lawyers and in-house counsel with an understanding of how to avoid employment law liability, stay compliant, and effectively manage and defend employment claims in a rapidly changing legal landscape.
Kugell and fellow faculty members will address:
- Leave Me Alone: New State Paid Family and Medical Leave Laws; Leave as a Reasonable Accommodation; FMLA Retaliation; and Wage and Hour Issues Arising from Vacation, PTO, Comp Time, and Other Time-Off Policies
- Discrimination Law Update: #MeToo Legislation and Its Impact on Resolution of Harassment Claims; Equal Pay; Bystander Intervention and Other New Approaches to Anti-Harassment Training; Changing Burdens of Proof; and Arbitrability
- Non-Competition, Non-Solicitation, and Trade Secret Protection; Drafting Decisions and Enforcement Considerations in Light of the New Statutes
- Ethical and Malpractice Traps in Employment Law: Waiver of Attorney-Client Privilege; Lawyers Providing Business Advice; Integrity v. Advocacy in Discovery; and Unauthorized Practice of Law
- “Ask the Experts” Q&A Session
Kugell is an established employment lawyer who counsels business owners and management through virtually every scenario surrounding the employer-employee relationship. As Chair of Morgan, Brown & Joy’s Management Committee, she brings strong leadership skills to clients, helping them to make important business decisions and manage their operations efficiently while minimizing risks. Her practice encompasses daily employment counseling, training, employment litigation, collective bargaining and labor arbitration. Kugell proactively works with clients to avoid allegations of wrongdoing, carefully advising on ways to run operations that meet business objectives and achieve compliance. Read her full bio here.
MCLE is the Massachusetts legal community’s premier provider of hands-on educational programs and reference materials. Its particular focus is applied law: practical, highly concrete training for attorneys in the essential elements of professional practice. MCLE presents more than 250 programs annually, in a variety of in-person and online formats and published more than 160 practice manuals.
About Morgan, Brown & Joy, LLP
Morgan, Brown & Joy is among the largest management-side employment law firms in New England, representing a wide range of Fortune 100 corporations, educational and health care institutions and small businesses across all sectors of the economy. The firm’s attorneys are known for anticipating and finding solutions to the ever-expanding range of employment-related legal issues in order to avoid the time and cost of litigation. When litigation becomes necessary, the firm aggressively defends its clients and has a proven record of success.